Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Life Lessons from Bike Rides


          Me and my bike, we’re the best of friends. When I’m out riding my bike through the countryside in the summer, I have peace of mind. As long as I have this escape, this get-away, I know that I will be ok, that everything will be ok. Everything is what it is, and will be what it will be. When I was out riding today I realized something: stepping into the unknown is like stepping into a shadow. Before you enter it, the shadow just seems very dark and black and you feel blind. But as soon as you enter it, your eyes only take a second to adjust. So the unknown isn’t that scary, all we have to do is adjust. I learn a lot from my bike rides. I learned to keep my mouth shut or bugs will fly into it. I learned to be aware; the road is not always going to be smooth. I know that I have to keep my eyes in front of me to watch for bumps and potholes, but that I must also keep looking around me. There is so much beauty all around us- keep looking, you might see a butterfly. And there might be some trash along the road, pick it up. I learned about balance on my bike, and that sometimes you’ll fall but it’s not the end of the world. So maybe life is less like a flowing river and more like a bike ride down a long road.


No comments:

Post a Comment